Vinyl crafting and garment customization are at its rise. The potential for creativity and innovation in the personalization industry is immense. Heat transfer vinyl is a vital component of this industry that is slowing gaining more popularity. But what is heat transfer vinyl anyway?
It is a special kind of apparel vinyl that can be used to create personalized fabric items, garments and add more décor. It can be weeded, cut and applied to cloth products. Professionals use a heat press machine to personalize home décor. Heat transfer vinyl is available in rolls with a plastic fixative backing that is torn away from cutting vinyl design before it is pressed on the garment.
Variety of brands
Heat transfer vinyl comes in a wide variety of brands. The reason behind the increasing number of brands is that they are specializing in different ranges of vinyl version. The market has a high demand and producers have stepped up to meet the challenges.
Vinyl comes in different types and versions. Since garments come in different types of fabrics, they need to be compatible with different types of vinyl. The last thing you want to do is apply the wrong type.
Colors and finishes
Getting into the world of heat transfer vinyl exposes us to the overwhelming number of color and style options available. Each type and color has its own temperature, pressure and pressing time settings so always be sure about these specifications. Here are a few popular examples:
- Glitter heat transfer vinyl
- Standard heat transfer vinyl
- Flock heat transfer vinyl
- Holographic and shiny heat transfer vinyl
Every time using a new type of heat transfer vinyl, it is imperative to perform test cuts and adjust the settings to ensure good results. Since vinyl colors can have a different behavior every time, it is important to have a test cut.
Tools needed for heat transfer vinyl
If you are about to tackle the first heat transfer vinyl project, then here are the tools and materials needed to get started with the production:
- A vinyl cutter
- Any fabric item that is to be decorated using this procedure
- Tools for weeding
- Stock supply for this process
- Heat press machine
- A Teflon sheet
- Computer with software that is compatible with the cutter
Tips to keep in mind
Heat transfer vinyl is not a straightforward process. It needs practice and skill. Nevertheless, here are some of the variables that must be controlled when pressing your heat transfer vinyl:
- Temperature is the first and foremost factor. The degree of heat utilized during application will vary according to the compositions of the item that are being pressed.
- The amount of pressure used while applying heat transfer vinyl will depend on the garments.
- The outcome of your application is highly dependent on the duration of time the items are being pressed. Always refer to the production instructions that comes with heat transfer vinyl products to know about different pressing times, therefore getting better results.